History of the Building
The CLUB 14 GARDEN GRILL and PUB building, formerly known as Walter’s and the Purple Toad, was originally called the Sanders building. It was owned by the Milosevich Family Limited Partnership prior to Kip Hampden Properties, LLLP purchasing the building. The building’s original address was 430 Chestnut Street. Due to the patriotic love and celebration of our nation, the restaurant's address was changed to 101 Americana Street. Not much of the building’s historical background is known. It was built in 1940 and rebuilt in 1970, according to the Las Animas Country Property Assessor File. The building also survived a fire, and shows signs of once being used as a packing plant, with some metals found onsite associated with this activity.
The Downtown Trinidad Development Group performed the construction and build-out of the building, and has in its possession an ice crusher and old primitive elevator that accessed the basement. The building also had a railroad car directly adjacent to it that was originally used for loading, it was later enclosed with a roof and converted to a storage room.